It is amazing how often I am planning on making burritos, tacos, or huevos rancheros from scratch and I have forgotten to SOAK the beans!!! Enter my pressure cooker! Many a dinner has been saved by this handy time-saving contraption and I am so happy that six years ago, I took the plunge, pushed my fears of flying lids aside, and bought my first pressure cooker (actually my mom bought it for me, thanks, mom!).
So today I want to share with you a super simple recipe for cooking black beans in the pressure cooker WITHOUT soaking them! Yes, I know, it is good to soak the beans and stuff, but seriously, I never remember....
Here is a video for your amusement that walks you through the process and a recipe card that you can print out for your stash of recipes.
Thanks for watching, sharing, eating, commenting, liking, AND subscribing!
- 2 lbs. Organic Dry Black Beans (Unsoaked)
- 4-6 quarts water, or enough to equal 2-3 times more water than beans
- 1 T Organic Garlic powder
- 1 T Organic Oregano leaf
- 2-3 T Organic Canola or Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste, after cooking.
- Add the dry beans to your pressure cooker.
- Fill pressure cooker with filtered water, so that the water is 2-3 times more than the beans.
- Add spices and oil to water. Do NOT add salt! Salt will make your beans tough. Add salt after to taste.
- Oil the gasket for your pressure cookers lid.
- Put lid on and lock it.
- Set the pressure cooker to 15 lbs. of pressure (on my pressure cooker, The 10-Quart Duo, by Fagor, this is setting #2)
- Turn heat on high and bring up to pressure.
- When the indicator on your pressure cooker says you are up to pressure, turn down the heat to low, and start timing.
- Cook at high pressure approximately 30 minutes.
- When time is up, turn off heat and let the pressure come down naturally (natural pressure release).
- When the indicator on your pressure cooker says the pressure has come down, unlock the lid, and tilting away from you, slowly remove the lid (the steam will be HOT!)
- The black beans are done if there are no beans floating.
- If for some reason they are not done, repeat the process and cook at high pressure for a few more minutes, until done.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and ENJOY!